Friday, 26 July 2013

Summer Salad

Summer Salad

Ingredients:
For two

6 Ounces of salad greens
1/4 Cup mandarin orange segments
2 Tablespoons raspberries or blackberries
1/4 Cup cherry tomatoes
1 Kiwi fruit, peeled and diced
1/4 Cup orange or yellow pepper, diced
1/2 Cup raspberry vinaigrette
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Instructions:

In a small bowl mix the balsamic vinegar and the raspberry vinaigrette. Set aside.  Prepare all the fruit and veg. On two small plates divide the salad greens, and then sprinkle the mandarins, berries, tomatoes, kiwi and peppers over the top of the salad greens. Chill the prepared salad plates in the fridge until ready to serve. Serve the prepare dressing in a gravy boat for your dinner guests to serve themselves. If serving with a salmon steak lay the cooked salmon to one side of the plate and serve with one lemon wedge.

Enjoy!

PS I also have added some sliced almonds or craisins to this salad. Also very yummy.

Notes:

I almost never read salad recipes. I tend to just see what I got going on in the fridge and cupboard for a salad and go with that. Usually my salads turn out pretty well. Because really no one should be capable of messing up a Caesar salad or tossed veg salad. But sometimes I do understand that a bit of inspiration can help when trying to pull a salad together to finish a meal.

So here is my version of a light summer salad. I like to use either baby spinach leaves or a mesclun mix of small baby leaves in my salad. Small leaves make for a smaller more dainty bite. But really any leaf of your choice will work well. Especially if you include a little bit of bitter arugula leaves to balance the sweet dressing and fruit. I also sometimes make this a quick lunch and serve it with a lemon pepper salmon steak. It is delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment