Friday 8 March 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/4 + Cup Flour- remember I said the amount could be much more
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Cup soft Butter (this means room temperature, not melted!)
  • 3/4 Cup White Sugar
  • 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 Eggs, Beaten
  • 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
  • 1 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (I am very generous with this amount when I make them)
*sometimes I add a little bit less white sugar and make it up some with honey and cinnamon, yummy*

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F
  2. In a medium bowl cream together the butter, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and eggs, set aside.
  3. In a large bowl whisk together the 2 cups of the flour, the baking soda, and salt. 
  4. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter-sugar-egg mix stirring thoroughly with each new addition of flour. 
  5. Stir in the last 1/4 cup of flour and the chocolate chips.
  6. The dough should be pretty stiff now and not too sticky when you handle it. If it is still not malleable, stir in more flour. This can get difficult so you might need a set of strong hands and arms to help or at least a buddy to offer some relief. 
  7. I have added closer to 4 cups of flour on occasions with this recipe, maybe I didn't measure my butter or something carefully but whatever the cookies always turn out. 
  8. Once you are happy with the consistency of your dough, either spoon and drop it on to your un-greased cookie sheet, or roll it into balls that are about one inch in diameter and place either the spooned or rolled cookies about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
  9. Bake for 8-12 minutes, and allow cookies to sit on the hot pan out of the oven for an additional two minutes before moving the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
  10.  As I said above I do recommend putting the dough into the fridge in between baking rounds, if like myself you do not have a massive oven, because this recipe makes a good pile of cookies at the end.
Enjoy!

Notes:

So this recipe is pretty much my baby. When I meet new people I tend to try and make them like me with food. Chocolate chip cookies have always worked well for this purpose and I'm pretty sure they are half the reason I landed my most wonderful fiance.  There really isn't much of a trick to making good chocolate chip cookies, but it does require just a little bit of finesse.  This is a basic recipe and depending on the weather or time of year the amount of flour could vary, by a lot.  At the end you want a cookie dough that is very firm, and not too sticky. I usually have my dough stiff enough that I can roll it into a a ball in my hands, and then bake it. I find rolling the dough into a ball before baking it helps create a nicely shaped cookie that isn't too thin and crunchy because I like a nice chewy, still warm chocolate chip cookie. If you are more into a crunchy cookie then a less stiff dough and simply spooning the dough onto the cookie sheet will probably work better for you.

One final tip, putting the un-baked cookie dough in the fridge between baking rounds will help keep the texture that we want, or if you run out of baking time un-baked dough can be kept in the fridge in an air tight container for up to 2 days. I hope this recipe brings you as much success and cookie-related happiness as it did me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?