Wednesday 24 July 2013

Home Made Taco Seasoning

Taco Seasoning

Ingredients:
  • 6 Parts Chili Powder*
  • 1 Part Garlic Powder
  • 1 Part Onion Powder
  • 1 Part Red Chili Pepper Flakes*
  • 1 Part dry Oregano
  • 1 Part Paprika*
  • 3 Parts Ground Cumin*
  • 1 Part Kosher Salt, or normal Salt
  • 1 Part ground black pepper
*These are the spices that will make it taste spicy, so you can adjust those amounts to suit your tastes.

Instructions:
  1. Measure out all the ingredients into a small bowl, whisk together gently. 
  2. Use about 2 1/2 Tablespoons of the seasoning mixture per pound of meat. More if you want a little more kick, less if you don't. 
  3. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
Enjoy!

Notes:

I haven't used a package of taco seasoning in probably well over three years now. I never really liked the flavor that they gave anyways really. So since my lovely wonderful fiance loves tacos to an unreasonable extent I obviously had to find a way to make taco seasoning of my own, that I also liked the taste of. But with several attempts to get the taste just right, I finally feel like I have a recipe that has excellent flavor, and best part is that it makes use of spices that I already had in the cupboard. Love it when things work out that easily.

Oh I nearly forgot I am going to write this recipe down as a ratio. Meaning that all you need to do is pick one measuring device, like for instance a tablespoon, and measure out the ingredient the number of times the recipe indicates.

Example Ratio Recipe:

3 parts soy sauce
2 part water
1 part sesame seeds
1 part garlic powder

Meaning that for this made up recipe (that is the start of a dumpling sauce) if using a table spoon measure you would measure out 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and garlic.

Why am I making things so difficult? Because this way you can decide how much of the recipe you want to make. Need a little bit to just make enough for 1 pound of ground beef (or chicken) then I might something as small as a 1/2 or 1/4 teaspoon measure. Want to make a whole lot at once so you can store it in an airtight container for easy use later? Well then 1 tablespoon as the base measure will yield about a cup of prepared seasoning. Or a using a 1/4 cup measure would yield nearly 4 cups of prepared seasoning, which is an awful lot but the choice is yours. I only use the 1/4 cup measure when I am gearing up for Christmas and plan to give away some home made gifts that year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?