Wednesday 11 June 2014

Recipe Test - Chef John's Chicken Kiev

Recipe Test - Chef John's Chicken Kiev

What Chef John Says:

"I'm not going to say this chicken Kiev is ‘easy to make.' It's really not. So, why try? Because, if and when you pull this off, you'll be enjoying one of the greatest chicken experiences of your life. It's also one of the greatest garlic experiences of your life, as well as one of the greatest butter experiences of your life."

Original Recipe Here

I have moved into a lovely new home, with a big kitchen with lovely windows to look out of and best of all a dishwasher! So to test out this new kitchen I thought I should test my kitchen skills with something I hadn't tried before. Stuffed chicken breast of some kind. . . 

I have tried to stuff other things before and most of the time it has been a pretty dire mess or disaster. But Chef John says I can do this!

What is Chicken Kiev?

A chicken fillet stuffed with herb and garlic butter, lightly fried and roasted to perfection. The goal of course being to keep all the butter inside the chicken until it is served and then the person enjoying the dish gets a lovely ooze of melted butter onto their plate upon cutting in.

The tricky part? Keeping butter inside the chicken until that moment.

Changes Made:

He describes rolling the chicken into a ball shape. Mine ended up looking more like chicken cigars. . . But other than that I followed this recipe to the letter.

Results:



I made it!

Chef John sure knows his stuff! Chicken was perfectly cooked when I followed his cooking times, and when I sliced in, the melted butter oozed onto the plate which was perfect to dip the mashed potato and chicken alike in. Wont and can't lie though, while this was excellent and delicious and did follow through on the promises of the recipe it seriously took me forever and a day it felt like to get this chicken dish together. 

Might be worth it on a day off but this isn't a recipe to try and throw together after work or anything. But I enjoy a challenge and this was a good challenge for this week. 

Other Places:

Something easier:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?