Monday 17 July 2017

Nova Scotian Donair Sauce

Nova Scotian Donair Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1/3-1/2 Cup White Vinegar
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

Instructions:

  1. In a medium bowl whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup of vinegar and the garlic powder until smooth and evenly blended.
  2. Allow sauce to chill in fridge covered for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust as needed. If it tastes too sweet, add more vinegar, if there isn't enough garlic add about 1/8 teaspoons more. Whisk again, chill in fridge again and taste again until it's perfect. Allow sauce to chill and rest in fridge for about a half hour before serving.
  3. Serve with kofta, or garlic fingers or pizza.

Enjoy!!

Notes:

This is a taste of my Homeland and a true Nova Scotian food, typically served with garlic fingers or a Donair.  I don't quite have a good recipe to replicate a Donair at home, but I am working on it. I recently bought myself a rotisserie for my new super sexy BBQ so maybe I will finally be able to make perfect Donair meat at home.

For those not in the know, Donair is kind of like a pita sandwich, made with spiced rotisserie meat, shaved off the spit, piled into a pita with tomato and onion and covered with Donair sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?