Wednesday 17 July 2013

Herb and Citrus Chicken

Chicken is a meat that can get pretty boring pretty quick. It doesn't have a whole lot of natural flavor, and can dry out super easily making it nearly inedible. However I know more than one way to cook a chicken! This is a new recipe I have been tweaking on my own to make a really nice flavorful chicken that doesn't feel too heavy for the summer. Since no one wants to eat a giant roast chicken dinner in the summer it's time to be creative.

This is my version of a citrus chicken with herbs that has a really nice punch of flavor and goes excellent with a fresh summer salad with raspberry vinaigrette or roasted corn on the cob. You can also either roast this in the oven or on a grill depending on what kind of cooking mood you are in.

Herb and Citrus Chicken

Ingredients:
  • 4 Skin on, bone in Chicken breasts, or a whole chicken butchered into four parts
  • 2-3 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
  • 2-3 Tablespoons fresh Basil, finely minced
  • 1-2 Tablespoons fresh Oregano, finely minced
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley, finely minced
  • 2 Teaspoons ground Pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • 1 Teaspoons Garlic Powder, or one Clove
  • Zest from one Lemon
  • Zest from one Lime
  • Juice from 1/2 Lemon
  • Juice from 1/2 Lime
  • The other Lemon and lime halves will also be used
1 Quick Chicken Brine recipe, optional

Instructions:
  1. Prepare the brine mixture, and soak the chicken pieces for at least 40 minutes but up to 2-3 hours. 
  2. Remove the chicken from the brine and dry with paper towels. 
  3. Prepare the herb mixture by mixing the butter, basil, oregano, parsley, pepper, salt, garlic, lemon and lime zest and juice. Set aside. 
  4. Carefully with your fingers separate the chicken skin from the meat creating pockets between the skin and meat. 
  5. Divide the herb mixture into four equal portions and rub the mixture under the skin pockets on the chicken, coating as evenly as you can.  
  6. Gently replace the skin so it covers the meat. 
  7. Season the chicken with some salt and pepper and squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon and lime half over the chicken evenly.
  8. I roasted mine in a low temperature (about 350°F) oven for roughly 45-50 minutes and I had large bone in chicken breasts. 
  9. Be careful if you choose to use the BBQ, I would wrap the chicken in tinfoil to ensure that none of the juices have a chance to escape.
  10.  As always I suggest using a meat thermometer to ensure the chicken is done, but the choice is yours.
Enjoy!

PS It's October now, and hunting season in Nova Scotia and my little brother was kind enough to get me and my man-friend some fresh partridge. Which I cooked this way, they were awesome!

Especially good since the partridge were pretty much still warm when I started to cook them and my brother cleaned them in the driveway so I knew exactly where my food came from. It was truly an epic meal. Plus my mommy was so happy to see both her children get along, even if it was to butcher poultry in her driveway.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any thoughts? Questions? Comments? Or did you try this?